Zuck and the gang (not to be confused with Kool and the Gang) announced Facebook Shops, an e-commerce feature (duh) that promises to make it easy to list your products across Facebook and Instagram.
Here’s our CLIKK Notes on Facebook Shops:
- It’s free.
- To start, products can be listed on your Facebook Page, Insta profile, Stories, or in ads to start.
- It’s not yet possible to sell products through Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram Direct, or on live streams—though it’s in the works.
- You’ll only need to upload your product catalog once across all of Facebook’s apps.
- Buyers will need to leave Facebook to complete the purchase unless you’re one of the lucky chosen ones with Facebook’s Checkout feature.
- Facebook is partnering with Shopify and BigCommerce to make it even easier to port products into Facebook Shops.
So… is Facebook going toe-to-toe with Amazon in the e-com game? Not if you believe Zuckerberg:
“Our business model here is ads, so rather than charge businesses for Shops, we know that if Shops are valuable for businesses they’re going to in general want to bid more for ads. We’ll eventually make money that way.”