The 3-step persuasive writing formula is called Problem-Agitate-Solve or P.A.S. and it goes a little something like this:
- Problem – Introduce the pain point.
- Agitate – Aggravate the pain point to the point of discomfort (This might sound evil to some, but the best marketers use empathy here.)
- Solve – Introduce your solution (your product, service, podcast, video, whatever)
Here’s an example of P.A.S. oin action (To sell software for fictitious accounting SaaS company called SimpleBooks)
- PROBLEM: When you’re launching a small business, time and money are critical resources that must be fiercely protected.
- AGITATE: The survival of your business depends on your ability to allocate these precious resources where they can have the most impact. Mundane tasks like bookkeeping drain those resources. I know because it was little tasks like bookkeeping that caused my first business to fail. (<< NOTE: that last sentence adds a bit of empathy.)
- SOLVE: That’s why we set out to create a simple and intuitive bookkeeping solution that any small business can afford. It’s called SimpleBooks and here’s how it works…